Electricians are like Starbucks, police officers, and ATM machines-you never think about them until you need one. If your electrical situation is on the fritz, of course it’s time to call in the help. But have you ever thought about the skills and requirements possessed by the electrician who is working on getting your issue fixed? Electricians are highly skilled workers with tough jobs and requirements facing them each day.
The Skills to Pay the Bills
Electrical work isn’t unskilled labor. When working with such a dangerous thing as electricity, there are a variety of skills and a vast amount of knowledge a good electrician must possess in order to get the job done right and safely.
Here are five things you may not have known about the individual who fixes your lights and other electrical issues.
- Electricians are in great shape – They need to be in order to do all the climbing, stooping, and heavy lifting required to achieve the repairs you need done.
- Advanced color vision is necessary – When dealing with many different wires of many different colors, electricians need to have a great sense of color vision in order not to connect the wrong wires and cause some serious problems that would result from this.
- Trouble shooting skills are a must – Unlike an assembly line job, no two jobs for an electrician are the same. Each call will bring its own set of issues and problems, with electricians needing to think fast on their feet in order to get the jobs done right.
- Management is involved – This isn’t an unorganized profession where electricians just appear out of nowhere to fix issues. Electrician teams need to be managed effectively, trained, scheduled, and kept on the task. It isn’t just about fixing wires, there’s an entire staff that needs to be managed for each day and each individual job assigned.
- Restoration Experts – One of the most important roles in the restoration of old buildings is that of the electrician. In fixing up old wiring and making sure the new building is lit up right, electricians are vital for the restoration of older buildings and houses.
The next time you need to call in an electrician, take the time to appreciate the craft being performed. The individual repairing your wiring is a highly skilled technician doing complicated work and is worthy of your respect.